Friday, March 5, 2021

observations from week 1

Well, birth was insane. But for now I want to jot down a few things from his first week:

- Right now we can't really tell who Asa looks like, his face is kind of a shape shifter but our best guess is that he looks like me head on, and he looks like Zach in profile and when he cries 😅

- The first time he heard water was very cool. I was getting ready to feed him and he was crying up a storm. I brought him into the bathroom to fill up my water glass in the sink, and when I turned it on he immediately stopped crying to listen. Was a very serene moment.

- it's very odd adjusting from being pregnant to not. I noticed how different I felt most when I was sleeping- I kind of felt like a newborn baby myself. Even with the blankets on I was shivering and I felt so small and pathetic in the bed. I normally need some space to sleep but I found myself curled up around Zach to try to stay warm. So bizarre. 

- the late night feeds are really hard. Last night I really just wanted to sleep and when I woke up to feed him I found that I was clutching a pillow to my boob and definitely thought the pillow was Asa at first. Guess I thought if I fed him in my sleep then I wouldn't need to actually get up and do it. This has happened twice.

- whenever Asa's done feeding he makes this horrible, scrunched up face and shakes his head around and flails his arms wildly

- it can be really hard to get him to latch when nursing. He seems to go for everything except the actual target, and gets his hands in the way so it's really hard for him to reach, so my wrist and forearms are sore from wrangling him. He's his own worst enemy. But once he's on there he's good to go and seems to have figured out how to adjust his latch even if while wrangling him I can't quite get him on there perfectly.

- the night we brought him home from the hospital we were absolutely exhausted and just wanted to go to bed. We brought him upstairs to the bassinet, did a half hearted wind of the mobile, and when it stopped a few seconds later, as if on cue, he promptly fell asleep. We were sooo thankful and it was also kind of hilarious.

- the first few days when I was just feeding him colostrum were hard. He seemed to want to do these marathon feeds and I wasn't sure if he was using me as a pacifier or not, but had heard letting baby go to town was good for your milk coming in, so I went with it wasn't getting much sleep. My milk came in on Friday and he generally started having shorter feeds after that, although he does randomly gorge himself sometimes. 

- I continue to have crazy, baby related dreams that often involve some kind of chaos me losing track of where he is. Clearly my greatest fear as I had some dreams like these pre pregnancy as well.

- the lactation consultant at the hospital made me feel kind of bad at one point because I sort of lost track of time trying to rest and contact people and I realized he hadn't fed for 4-5 hours. In the beginning, they are supposed to feed every 2-3 hours, so it could be bad for the baby to go that long and could be bad for your milk production. So when we first got home, I was setting my alarm in between feeds even if it was at 3am to make sure he wasn't going too long without eating. Not once did my alarm ever go off because he was waking up hungry prior to that so I stopped setting my alarm. Now that he's surpassed his birth weight in 10 days the pediatrician said we could let him sleep and not worry about time between feeds, although he still hasn't given us longer than a 3 hour stretch

- he's a little fat boy and he's so dang cute... Zach and I love to look at him, but also laugh at his antics. We are pretty entertained although I think papa is tired of changing his diaper every 5 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

observations from week 1

Well, birth was insane. But for now I want to jot down a few things from his first week: - Right now we can't really tell who Asa looks ...