Friday, September 4, 2020

bloated belly mystery solved?

 I've been seeing a physical therapist for my back issue, mainly doing telehealth. But on Thursday I had an in-person visit booked and it's making me realize that even though my PT doesn't have to do a lot of hands-on work, telehealth ≠ in person visit. 

She was able to get a better sense of how my body is moving and make some adjustments to how I'm doing my exercises based on that, so I feel like my toolbox is more robust now.

As for the bloating in my upper belly, she thinks that may be happening because my lower abdomen is a little tight due to the back injury and so my belly doesn't have anywhere else to expand, which it needs to do. This is not good because it means my diastasis (the parting of your ab muscles to allow your belly to expand, which everyone gets to some extent) could happen unevenly. So we worked on buttoning up my upper abdomen which basically just involves a flat back on the floor with massive core engagement and controlled breathing. I noticed that I had a lot less control of getting my left rib to flatten out over my core (back issue is on the left side) and had to poke it every exercise to make sure it was in the right place and adjust if not. Overall this exercise is deceivingly simple because it really works your core and takes a lot of mental concentration to do it correctly. 

At some point I'm told lying on my back is not going to be comfortable so I am going to start going ham on this exercise until then. The pelvic floor exercises I'm doing are also supposed to relax my lower abdominal area. Don't worry Doglet, I'll give you some space to grow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

observations from week 1

Well, birth was insane. But for now I want to jot down a few things from his first week: - Right now we can't really tell who Asa looks ...