Saturday, August 22, 2020

first week of second trimester was a dud

I read all of the articles talking about how your second trimester is the magical time in pregnancy where you feel energetic and look like a model. Week 12, with the hustle bustle of telling people the good news (so much fun), and the ultrasound, had me feeling great and that I was entering the golden period early. 

Then week 13 started, Monday morning rolled around, and I fell asleep at my desk in the morning, and threw up during our weekly team meeting. Luckily I didn't have my video on but I had actually forgotten to turn my sound off earlier in the meeting so for a moment I thought it might be on again. Before getting pregnant I had a vision that this was going to happen at work- that during a team meeting I would have to throw up in a nearby trash can and would then be forced to announce my pregnancy on the spot. My vision was spot on except for the virtual part so no one had to know. 

This week I have been exhausted. I've been working on a time sensitive project out of another Jacobs office (our team is maxed out on capacity of available work) and putting in a few extra hours for that. The team there seems kind of out of sorts. My counterpart was out on bereavement leave for a while, the lead on the team seems over-extended on work, and the other guy on the team was supposed to retire last year, but his wife was diagnosed with ovarian cancer and it spread to her brain, so he has been caring for her and only works part time. He continued working to keep their healthcare benefits. He seems to put on a good face but I feel very sorry for his situation. In the meantime, the deadlines and requirements for these projects keep on rolling, but I'm glad we have a big network and can share work between offices even if they are asking me questions like "do the mechanical engineers know what they're talking about for the placement of the air handling units on the roof" and I'm like "I don't know I've been on this project for 3 days mang". But for me after work this week I feel like I don't recover my energy and feel good until about 8pm but still forced myself to do some yoga, walk, bike, and run (2 laps around a mini track at a playground 😀).

I got some bloodwork results back this week and they said my red blood cell count was low and that my MCV (the size of my red blood cells was high), so I was worried this might be contributing to my tiredness. In the past I have been slightly iron anemic and have always over-bruised so probably always have been. I messaged the midwives at GW and they said my results were normal for a pregnant woman and to not worry. I ordered a big plate of steak bulgogi the next day anyhow and actually almost threw up from eating so much. I can't win. I think I should be getting enough iron from my pre-natal vitamins and other things I eat, like fortified cereal, but I might order some iron pills anyways. There's other mineral deficiencies that can cause these results too but again I checked my pre-natal vitamin and I seem covered from that alone so who knows. 

I'm also going to work next week on snacking more, because I think I'm working upstairs away from the food and forgetting to snack much during the day, and then I realize I'm hungry and it is a food emergency. I think that may be partly why I threw up on Monday- I made myself a very small lunch and didn't snack. After throwing up I spent the rest of the team meeting trying to figure out how to order takeout for the Sweetgreen Harvest bowl to replenish myself (that thing is a pregnancy powerhouse- kale, sweet potatoes, goat cheese, wild rice, almonds, chicken, and I add chickpeas for extra protein). In our 7 years at the house this was the first time I had ever ordered takeout- I hate paying the extra fees and am happy to pick up food on my bike. So I decided to be queen for a minute and it was worth it. 

Overall I'm saying zai jian to week 13 and ready to move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

observations from week 1

Well, birth was insane. But for now I want to jot down a few things from his first week: - Right now we can't really tell who Asa looks ...