There are some things that happen that don't make it to the blog, especially concerning Zach and I's interactions. There are some things the public doesn't need to know. One of these things was the conversations and events surrounding our call with the genetic counselor, which quite frankly was hilarious, but to an unseasoned observer may be confusing, and possibly wrong.
To cover all of our bases we opted for the expanded carrier package. I got my results back and everything is fine except I am a carrier for Alpha-sarcoglycanopathy, also known as limb-girdle muscular dystrophy. I'm not too worried about it, since the chances of Zach also being a carrier are slim. Zach hasn't gotten his results back but I will be sure to update the blog with his genetic problems when I do. 😄
Probably like how you can find something to identify with in a horoscope and think there's more to it than there is, I was creeped out when I read certain traits associated with this disease because they were vaguely familiar, although I clearly do not have the disease myself.
The trait that freaked me out the most was protruding, close-together shoulder blades (specifically your scapulae). I have always had pretty prominent scapulae, and they are hypermobile- I've always been able to touch my elbows in the back due to their flexibility. This always seemed beneficial for swimming, but now it makes me go hmmm.
It also mentions that onset in childhood can produce an unusual walking gait, such as waddling or walking on the balls of your feet.
1. People used to tell me I walked like a duck :(
2. I did go through a period where I walked on my tippy toes. But I think this is fairly common in children.
Otherwise, nothing else adds up. I am interested to understand though if carriers can express some traits without clearly expressing a disease.
Anyhow, Doglet is probably in the clear for any major inherited issues, which I assumed, but is good to confirm. Go Doglet!
No comments:
Post a Comment