Friday, December 11, 2020

gender reveals

 We did 4 gender reveals, getting maximum usage out of the board. The one we did with my family at the baby shower was actually the second reveal, and the night before we did the first reveal with Zach's parents. Being the first go at it we didn't quite know how it was going to go but it didn't disappoint.  

Zach's parents both took very aggressive stances while popping the balloons, in fact Zach's dad knocked the board over several times and we finally had to secure it with some heavy books. 

They made it pretty far through the board. I For this one I experimented with putting colored paper in the balloon which would flutter out upon popping, but all I had was a very dark navy blue tissue paper which I cut up into small squares, and I think with the dim lights in their living room they were not able to discern that the paper was blue. They just kept looking at it trying to understand what it meant, but I guess they kind of got it because they started talking about dongs?? (LOL). Finally after watching them struggle for a bit I found the ultrasound paper for them so they could open it up and be sure that dongs were relevant to the gender. I need to get the video from Zach to put up because the whole thing was hilarious. 

The third reveal was with Abby, Noah, Olivia, Jeremy, and Margaret. I have 0 pictures of this one because I was holding the board from behind while we tried to get little Abby to pop the balloons. It was a challenge popping them because we had left up most of the unpopped ones from the previous reveal with my family out of laziness, and they had slightly deflated. So it was real obvious I think which ones were the new balloons that would be most likely to hold the answer. Noah got it soon after when he relieved Abby from her duties. Team girl was the desire for this reveal since they all have girls, but I'm sure little chunks can have some gal pals too. 

I do have a picture of a stack of bagels that we consumed, mainly because they got our order wrong and I guess I thought this picture would prove that for a refund haha. We ate the bagels in the cold rain (what a nasty day) and Margaret went REI mom on us and nursed in a rain jacket. 

The fourth and final reveal was up on Katherine and Ben's rooftop also with Prav, Tor, Irina and Sam (who had just gotten engaged that very day!!!). It was supposed to be the day after Halloween, but with said craziness about potentially putting in an offer on a house that weekend I was donezo by Sunday and so we delayed by a week. It was a good thing we did, because we had unseasonably warm weather on the day we did it. I wore a flowy dress again, but this time I was smart because I have a tie dye'ish one that is blue and pink so I wore that. Most people thought I was having a girl, but Prav guessed that I was having a boy, I assume because I had seen her and Riggins for a walk a few days beforehand and it was impossible to talk about the baby without using gendered pronouns. At the very least I probably dropped a thousand hints, and at the very most I probably actually used the word "he", lol. Sam also guessed it was a boy, because he was sitting closest to us that night and previously Zach had said something that I had to elbow him in the side for that definitely made it pretty clear that it was a boy. We are the worst at this. 

With a few reveals under our belt, I had strangely noticed some patterns as to where people often popped first. Armed with this knowledge, I was able to put the reveal in a balloon that would get them pretty far through the game board, and it worked, there was a lot of popping. 

The only non-blurry photo I got during the popping session was of Ben, who was carefully making his move. 

Irina got the balloon with the reveal! The feet are not on the ground, lol. The truth is out there now. 


I gotta say that the highlight of the evening was this cake that Katherine made. IT'S AN OREO CAKE. SHE MADE THIS. I don't think I told her that the game had the name "He or She" in it but we somehow coordinated. I'm sitting her dreaming of this cake now, it was probably the best cake I've ever had, I can't think of another one that's been better. I don't want to commit because all milkshakes are great, but Oreo milkshakes are probably my favorite and this extends to cake now too. I got myself a nice big piece and Zach asked to share it with me, and for once I told him to go get his own :) My pictures were bad that night so picture by the chef:





All in all, we had so much fun with the reveals- thank you everyone for helping make pandemic baby still a lot of fun. 









No comments:

Post a Comment

observations from week 1

Well, birth was insane. But for now I want to jot down a few things from his first week: - Right now we can't really tell who Asa looks ...