Tuesday, December 29, 2020

merry christmas bump - week 32

Eight months...! The countdown is on. I think I mostly solved the glute pain I was having by swimming 3 times last week. Swimming cures all ailments. 

Zach said that my belly is starting to look 'obscene' in these bump pics. Hope it can be handled. Doglet is as big as a napa cabbage this week and weighs almost 4 pounds which is pretty sizable. This happened a while ago but my innie belly button has definitely turned into an outie. 

Also please forgive the equally obscene tree topper. This was our first year with a tree and we don't have a topper, so we put our Halloween decoration up there. I got the tree at Eastern Market and it smells great, was nice to have a tree up this year. 


We had the tree and the menorah going this year. It was also the first time lighting the menorahs...I like lighting the candles. I think we skipped a night or something so we had extra and I kept lighting them after Hanukah ended. Zach said this was sacrilege but I did it anyways. Each night I would question him about the Hanukah story to keep him on his toes.


On Christmas eve we made a big meal, braised beef with onions and carrots in a wine/tomato sauce, mashed potatoes (note to self do not boil the potatoes whole, cube those guys up), a salad with candied pecans (surprisingly easy to make), cranberries, apple slices and blue cheese, and homemade ice cream (also surprisingly easy to make). 


I've been wanting to make no-churn ice cream for a while just to see what it tasted like. It was actually surprisingly good, the texture really didn't stray too far from 'real' ice cream. I spiced it with nutmeg, ground cloves, cinnamon, and all spice. 


Since Doglet isn't hear yet for me to spoil, I got Zach many presents this year, including a new set of cream stoneware plates and bowls for him to show off his cooking concoctions (and we will now own more than 2-3 plates), a charcuterie board for whenever we have people over again, a nice herb saver for cilantro etc., some chocolate from Austin that had won some Spicy Chocolate Awards (apparently an annual competition), a santoku style knife, and a skin to skin shirt. I got myself a skin to skin shirt as well, I am so looking forward to these shirts. They aren't baby carriers but they have kind of a little pouch in the front and a tie at the bottom so you can secure baby in there while you're sitting down. So many things to look forward to but the idea of simply just chilling on the couch with Doglet curled up on me like a little pudge ball sounds wonderful. Skin to skin is also supposed to stimulate milk production, etc. but hopefully Zach does not have this consequence when he wears his shirt.


Overall it was obviously a weird holiday season not being able to see people for the most part but Zach and I tried to take advantage of it just being the two of us for the first and probably the last time. We've really spent the last few weeks just enjoying extended time with each other since it won't be that way for much longer. I think we have even a greater appreciation of each other than before the pandemic started? But soon it is time to finally make this a trio, we've had 17 years of just the two of us and it's time to share the love :)

In other news, on December 23rd we also replaced all our windows 😮 They are so, so much nicer than our old ones, most of which we couldn't open, had so much condensation we could barely see out of them, and were framed with crappy drywall instead of trim. In addition to making it easier to sell the house, we're thinking we will still be here in a few years, so might as well enjoy them. 


We are really busy getting ready for Doglet. We still need to finish up our kitchen project, now we need to reinstall blinds, I'm replacing all of the smoke detectors in the house, etc etc etc etc etc












No comments:

Post a Comment

observations from week 1

Well, birth was insane. But for now I want to jot down a few things from his first week: - Right now we can't really tell who Asa looks ...